Wednesday, August 19, 2009

White Cherry

brewed:
Aug 16, 2009

O.G. 1.041

secondary fermentation: 8/22/09

F.G.

kegged: 8/22/09

results:
Even though I used a bit less tart juice than they called for this still had a dry and plenty tart taste in my opinion. The neighbors enjoyed it enough to come back for more and bring a relative. I'm holding off on finishing the last gallon to see how it might work as a half-and-half underneath the Imperial Stout. Plus it will have aged a bit more and Tom from the LHBS says this would probably mature well for a month or two. More on that later!

recipe:
Basically from Briess. 5 gallons

5 lbs. Briess CBW Bavarian Wheat LME
1 lb. Briess 6-Row Brewers Malt
6 oz. Briess Caramel Malt 60L
12 oz. Briess Bolander Munich Malt
4 oz. Briess Carapils Malt
2 qts. Knudsens Organic Just Tart Cherry Juice
- or -
4 lbs. pitted frozen tart cherries
.33 oz. Perle Pelletized Hops (9% AA hop)
1 Belgian Wit II Ale yeast WPL410 ( I subbed Wyest 3944 Belgian Wit per Tyler's suggestion)
1 tsp. Irish moss

They say to do a minimash with 4 gallons of water and grains, steeping it at 158F for 45 min. Since I was working with a smaller pot steeping in the kitchen I only did 2.5 gallons.

After the minimash I took it up to a boil and added the LME and let it boil for 45 minutes.

Added Irish Moss and continued boiling for 15 more minutes.

Cooled, pitched yeast the next morning 8/17/09.

On 8/19 I added the cherry juice. 1 qt of Knudsen "Just Black Cherry" from Publix in Goodlettsville. Since I didn't get the full 2 qts. needed I ended up going the next day to Publix in Hendersonville but they only had Old Orchard "Tart Cherry" (it contains ascorbic acid).

I'll let if ferment just a bit longer then do a secondary for two weeks.

Briess' specs:
Primary 14 days at 70F
Secondary 10 days at 35F
bottle condition

OG 1.042
FG 1.008
AbW 3.6%
AbV 4.5%
IBU 12
Color 10+ reddish

No comments:

Post a Comment