Monday, October 19, 2009

Donkey Tire

Tonight I'm brewing up a "better than Fat Tire", so deemed by the LHBS proprietor.

Tom likes to use Victory malt as a main component which gives this a different flavor. I'm going to try it out.

A friend of mine, nicknamed Donkey, was killed on his bicycle recently. He loved a good beer so I'm calling this batch Donkey Tire in his honor. Maybe I'll throw a nut in it to match up with David's personality. ;)

brewed:
October 19, 2009

O.G.

secondary fermentation:
October 25, 2009
F.G.

kegged:
October 25, 2009

results:

recipe:
1 can of Munton's Extra Light Liquid Malt Extract
Light Dry Malt Extract
Victory Malt and two others, I'll have to pay closer attention next time. Dangit they kitted this up for me.
Hops see above.
White Labs Liquid Abbey Ale Yeast

Grains steeped in at 155 degrees and cooled for 40 minutes.
Bring to boil and remove grains.
Start 60 minute timer and pour in the first hops, about .5 ounces.
Add half of the DME and LME.

With 10 minutes left add the next hops, about .75 ounce.

The last hops go in at 3 minutes left, about .75 ounce. These are for flavor.
Cut off the flame and add the last of the malts. Cool then pitch the yeast.

Notes:
For the yeast this time they threw in Danstar Nottingham dry yeast. Dare I use it? Hmmm. No, I decided to wait it out a bit and pick up the Abbey Ale yeast.

Update Oct. 21: This morning the fermenter was eerily still. Tom says the yeast may hit the 18 hour mark before it does anything. We'll eagerly check on it after work! Also I'll be checking on the BYO recipe for Fat Tire, I think that one called for a Wyest pack.

This batch of beer was great.  Very enjoyable and the flavor was not exactly like Fat Tire from the bottle, it was better.  Tom's recipe lived up to the name.

No comments:

Post a Comment